Monday, July 27, 2009

WHILE YOU WERE OUT


I'm gonna have to get crackin' on this blog, yo. It was a busy week of music and art. Here's what's been happening since 7/17 edition of "While You Were Out."

Saturday: Finished up writing about Flow: North Arts Crawl, then took a brain vacation for the rest of the night, but in keeping with my goal for the weekend, never went out (boo!). Probably worked on hip hop reviews some.

Sunday: I sent out interview questions to those involved in Artery 24 and worked on hip hop reviews for Mill City Scene. Was about to take a bicycle adventure, when I realized some a-hole stole the wheels and tires off the damn thing at some point over the weekend.

Monday: I submitted the Maria Isa review, which still isn't up on the website. Worked on Artery 24 as much as I could, but had to push the deadline to Tuesday, because the most important contacts had yet to respond.

Tuesday: In the morning I had to do some paperwork emailed over to Sonic Youth's management to get a photo pass, then finished the Artery 24 preview in the afternoon. That night, Sonic Youth performed at First Avenue, which was amazing.

Wednesday: I found a sweet bike for an even sweeter price on Craigslist, and spent much of the day deliberating over the purchase, then trekked out to deep South MPLS (near Richfield) to pick up the new bike. I worked on the Sonic Youth review a bit, but was not in writing mode after having to deal with the bike all day. Oh yeah, and I was sort of abducted by my social life. One of my good friends was celebrating her birthday late up in the 7th Street Entry, so I went there with a couple of ex-coworkers from the club. I made her meet the band she liked, and had them sign her poster. (By the way, I'm a good friend)

Thursday: Woke up super duper early, and finished the Sonic Youth review. Was pretty well zoned out and in zombie mode for the rest of the day, thanks to going to bed at 3am/waking up at 7am. Coordinated picking up a free sofa bed. I remember sleeping in Rafe's chair at some point, and then being fed some tortellini.

Friday: I really don't know what the hell I did. I musta zoned out on my laptop in the morning, looking at god knows what. Got really bored too fast, and ended up biking over to Claire's, so we could go see some exhibit she was supposed to be in. The damn gallery (Fox Art???) was closed, but we ended up going to a cool antique store and some handmade stuff (what the hell should I call this?) store. Went home and waited for Joe to call, so we could go pick up the free sofa bed. He ended up picking up the sofa bed with his sister and delivering it. How do you say no to shit like that? You don't. You just don't. They also delivered Rafe my old futon. Well, I told them to throw it outside (I didn't want Joe to have to help my ex out, for obvious reasons). Rafe let me drive his friend's car, despite how bad of an idea that was, even though nothing bad happened. Watched "There Will Be Blood" with Joe. Awesome movie, didn't think I'd like it from the previews. Don't judge a book, fool.

Saturday: Skipped Artery 24, because I suck at life, and this is how we do it. No, just overwhelmed by all the art going on, and was least excited for this (sorry, Soap Factory, I still love you and will paint your walls). Went to Flow: North Arts Crawl, and was even more impressed by what I found there then I had imagined. Tish Jones and Rachel Raimist's "State of the City" was an amazing end to a great day of art in North Minneapolis. I got business cards from participants so I can buy some of their work later. Good times. Was supposed to go to a party, but it had started as early as the arts crawl. I drank two beers out of my six pack, then fell asleep around midnight. Thug life.

Sunday: Went to the aforementioned Caffetto Arts & Crafts Fair, then ended up being damn bored for the rest of the day. At 5pm I decided to polish off the remaining four beers, and then I was wanting to get crunked by seven. The rest of the world was not feeling it until later in the day.

Monday: finally, that's now. Have been exploring new writing options, and looking in to another part time job. Life's too easy.

That's it. I plan to do more with my blog, like include events beside the ones I cover. There's always way too much going on in Minneapolis to go to everything. I can at least promote what I cannot attend. I'm also going to try to be more like a conventional blog, and put up MP3s and stuff that I find. I usually post everything on Facebook, because it's easier, but to get some readers, I'm gonna need to promote my blog more. This "While You Were Out" section is more of a way to just process all the ideas floating around in my mind before they escape. Hope it works.

No comments: